Before we begin, let us first find out what the word “holistic approach” means, this method means providing support to a person by looking at them as a whole. It does not rely on one specific health needs but rather on all other aspects of the body. Holistic medical doctors always consider the mental, physical, psychological, and physiological well-being of the person.
Holistic medicine believes in the importance of healing a person’s entirety instead of just focusing on one illness. Doctors in this profession presume that lifestyle, emotions, and environment have a huge role in an individual’s health.
Principles Of Holistic Medicine
Holistic medicine believes in the power of support and love as natural body healers. It also depends on the fact that a person is responsible for his own well-being. Below are some of the principles of holistic medicine.
- We all have healing abilities.
- Healing a person takes a group effort, it includes a doctor, nurse, and patient. Holistic healers consider all details in a person’s life
- Holistic treatments aim to fix the root cause of the condition rather than just relieving the symptoms.
Holistic healers use various methods in treating a patient, depending on the patient’s needs and the doctors’ personal beliefs. Overall, its main goal is to achieve the most adequate health condition.
- Educating the patient to change their unhealthy lifestyle and assist them on their road to self-care and wellness. This method may include changes in their diet, physical activities, psychotherapy, spiritual counseling, and many more.
- Using alternative therapies such as homeopathy, massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractic care.
- Holistic medicine does not disregard western and surgical procedures, thus, incorporating a holistic method to these procedures to achieve optimal health.
Where To Find Holistic Doctors
If you wish to find a holistic doctor you may want to keep these tips in mind:
- Do not just go to anyone. This goes to finding almost any professional, from engineers, architects, artists, and others always consider the doctor’s credibility. Before completely trusting a holistic medical doctor, get somebody else’s point of view, and check if they recommend the doctor or not.
- Try to find out as many things as you can about the doctor that you’re about to engage with. How long have they been treating patients, what is their personal holistic approach, where did they get their training, what are their certifications, are they affiliated with any health organization and the likes.
- Consider how comfortable you are. Once you meet your desired holistic doctor, it is important to contemplate if you feel comfortable and at ease with them. This part is important in improving your health condition. Remember that you will be sharing almost everything about yourself to your doctor, might as well see for yourself if they are a good match with you.
- Doctors’ availability. You may also need to know if your doctor will be available anytime to at least accommodate you if you have any concerns.
- Since this method will look at you as a whole, a lot of questions will be asked to come up with a viable approach to be used as your treatment. Evaluate the questions that are being asked to you during your initial appointment and see if you are comfortable answering everything.
- Treatment options. Each approach will vary depending on the doctor. You can assess if your doctor is using an approach that you think will best suit you.
No matter what kind of doctor you choose, remember that all holistic doctors will try to treat not only your disease but your whole body and your entirety as a person. Their main goal is to help you feel better about yourself in the most natural way possible.